TESTS Failed

Postby itar » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:07 am

hello

ALL tests of this site failed

http://www.izynews.com/en/safe_rss/check.xml

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:02 am

That "test" claims javascripts, iframes etc to be security threats. I copy/pasted it to a html, you can check if your browser will fail in the test. :)

http://www.curiostudio.com/misc/test.html

There's a big difference between web technology and implementation flaw of a technology. For example disabling javascript will make half of websites unusable, including Google Mail, Google Map and Flickr. Merely displaying a scaring message in javascript is NOT a security test.

Having said that, I'm still going to do something just for the peace of mind. From build 336 GreatNews user can choose to use Mozilla engine instead of IE. The build after that will have a option to disable javascript.

Update: GreatNews strips dangerous tags from rss feed since build 339. All above tests pass now.
Last edited by Jack on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

alta88

Postby alta88 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:33 am

GreatNews wrote:From build 336 GreatNews user can choose to use Mozilla engine instead of IE. The build after that will have a option to disable javascript.

wow, is this in 336 now? i'm gonna run and download, this is great! can't wait to play with .css a bit.

just curious, is there a package for the rendering engine? would the version match with the latest firefox?

thanks.

yagood

Postby yagood » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:53 am

GreatNews wrote:(...) From build 336 GreatNews user can choose to use Mozilla engine instead of IE. (...)

Where exactly is this option?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Well, I found middle clicking isn't always working when Mozilla engine is used. So I removed the feature from release note. If you don't use GreateNews tabbed browsing anyway, use the following procedure to enable Mozilla engine in GreatNews:

1. Download and install Mozilla ActiveX control here:
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/MozillaControl1712.exe

2. Add following lines to greatnews.ini, then restart GreatNews
[Advanced]
UseMozillaEngine=Y

How to tell you are using Mozilla Engine? Check the welcome screen, the line under "GreatNews: the intelligent rss reader" should be broken! :)

There are lots of issues with Mozilla engine right now. It's an extremely powerful rendering engine, but it doesn't provide enough interactive control to the hosting program. But I will graduately iron out most of the problems.

yagood

Postby yagood » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:59 pm

Thanks, works great! I don't use tabs in GN and I hate IE's rendering engine and if I can I always replace it with Mozilla, so I love that GN gives me such possibility.

grebo

Postby grebo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:18 am

Call me a n00b, but how can I change it so if I click a link in Great News it launches Mozilla - not MSIE?

yagood

Postby yagood » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:53 am

grebo wrote:Call me a n00b, but how can I change it so if I click a link in Great News it launches Mozilla - not MSIE?

Check this: http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/setbrowser/.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:13 pm

grebo wrote:Call me a n00b, but how can I change it so if I click a link in Great News it launches Mozilla - not MSIE?

GreatNews always launchs default browsers. Most browsers should have a button in Options/Preference to set itself to default browser. Or if you are running WinXP, you can use Start->Set Program Access and Defaults to do that.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:56 am

I installed the ActiveX controal and made the changes in the greatnews.ini, but it is still using IE, not Firefox? Is this still supported?

Thanks,
Tim

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:39 am

Tim wrote:I installed the ActiveX controal and made the changes in the greatnews.ini, but it is still using IE, not Firefox? Is this still supported?

Thanks,
Tim

Yes it's still supported. I actually test against Mozilla engine in every build. When setup correctly, you should see the line in GreatNews welcome page broken.

If it's not working on your machine, please follow the procedure on http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm to check the ActiveX control was installed correctly. You can also send me your GreatNews.ini file, I can help to check if the option is set.

Yochanan

Postby Yochanan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:09 pm

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I followed all these steps, and even registered mozctlx.dll from SeaMonkey 1.0's program directory. GreatNews is now using the Mozilla engine, which is much faster than IE's in GN.

Here's the thing: I left-click a heading in the News pane, the topic appears in the Reading pane fine. If I click a link from there, it opens in a new tab. Good so far. However, if I left-click the topic heading in the Reading pane to display the actual web page, clicking any of those links do diddly-squat. I don't get it. Using the IE engine, everything works fine.

Also, the test page for the ActiveX control neither works in IE nor Greatnews. Any ideas? I tried the IEPatcher on GreatNews.exe too, and that didn't do anything either way. I put the original GreatNews.exe back. I'm using build 360. Thanks.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:46 pm

Yochanan wrote:However, if I left-click the topic heading in the Reading pane to display the actual web page, clicking any of those links do diddly-squat.

you don't need to use that IE patcher. When GreatNews is using MozillaEngine, there's no embedded IE. The biggest problem with MozillaEngine is that mouse wheel click doesn't work reliably. I don't know any way around it, so I couldn't say GreatNews officially support Mozilla :(

Yochanan

Postby Yochanan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 pm

I said left-click, not middle-click. :wink:

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:00 pm

hmm, how come? for testing purpose I actually use MozillaEngine myself.

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”