A post updated twice generates two unreads?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Gizmo

A post updated twice generates two unreads?

Postby Gizmo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:09 am

I'm not sure about that, but it looks like the new become-unread-when-modified feature increases the unread counter even if the modified post is already marked as unread.

The only thing I'm sure about is that I now have some kind of problem with the read/unread count, as can be seen in this image.

Almost forgot: i'm talking about build 359.

Edit - my suspects have just been confirmed: GN just acted this way when I edited this post before marking it read.

rodeoclown

Postby rodeoclown » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:18 pm

I was just about to post the same error, when I saw this one.
It's doing it for me too (makes it look like I have hundreds of posts to read, when I have far less).

Does updating a post now mark it as unread? And if so, is it possible to turn it off?

Thanks

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:37 pm

The current logic is that if the updated post has a newer timestamp or new title, it will be marked as unread again. Is this what happened to you? I'm considering keep the post read even the timestamp was updated?

Edit: does this happen when the original post is unread and it's updated? I just found a bug there will double count the unread. Fix is in Build 360

rodeoclown

Postby rodeoclown » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:03 pm

The double unread count was the main issue.

For some sites I don't want to read updates if they occur, that's why I was asking about turning it off.

It's not a big deal though.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:24 pm

I uploaded a partially done build 360. Do you want give it try?

http://www.curiostudio.com/nightly0.360

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:36 am

GreatNews wrote:Edit: does this happen when the original post is unread and it's updated?

Yep, that's it.

GreatNews wrote:I uploaded a partially done build 360. Do you want give it try?

http://www.curiostudio.com/nightly0.360

Well ok, I'm taking a try right now.

[Edit] No more counter increasing, but now GN does not seem to update posts that get modified. Still checking.

[Edit] This post has been edited at least three times, but in GN I still see it in its original form.

[Edit] No, wait, now it got updated but not marked as unread.

[Edit] Ok, finally I must confirm that the modified posts get updated in GN, there is no more wrong counter updating but read posts don't seem to get marked back as unread.

Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:04 pm

As some who hand-creates his RSS feed, I would like the ability to force a re-read of a feed channel (or better yet--an article!) even if the title and time of the article have not changed. This makes it a little easier to verify that an article shows up OK after making a correction.

I didn't know about the change-the-time trick. That helps.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:26 pm

Tony wrote:As some who hand-creates his RSS feed, I would like the ability to force a re-read of a feed channel (or better yet--an article!) even if the title and time of the article have not changed. This makes it a little easier to verify that an article shows up OK after making a correction.

I didn't know about the change-the-time trick. That helps.

A lot of feeds have FeedFlare embedded,which updates articles automatically basing trackbacks, comments etc. So I guess GreatNews has to see a title change or timestamp change to mark an article unread again.

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”