Curio Studio

The Home of GreatNews
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm 

I lost all my feeds when I allowed GreatNews to update.

I know I pointed the installation wizard to the correct installation folder, because it asked if I wanted to write to it because it had detected the previous installation.

I checked and there is only one copy on the system, and it is in the installation folder I had originally created for GreatNews.

I have a backup of the files from that installation folder, that is about a month old. Which files do I need to drop into the installation folder to regain my feeds and settings and without screwing up the update?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'm really sorry to hear this, but I have no idea how this can happen. Believe or not, the installation or zip files have NO data file in it. GreatNews monthly downloads are counted in tens of thousands. The problem you encountered seems to be a very isolated case. Can you try one more time to search for files GreatNews.exe and newsfeed.db? Please let me know the directories you find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:45 pm 

Jack Pan wrote:
I'm really sorry to hear this, but I have no idea how this can happen. Believe or not, the installation or zip files have NO data file in it. GreatNews monthly downloads are counted in tens of thousands. The problem you encountered seems to be a very isolated case.

Me either!

Jack Pan wrote:
Can you try one more time to search for files GreatNews.exe and newsfeed.db? Please let me know the directories you find them.

Those two files are in the installation directory. They must have been created by the program by some glitch in my system, but their is nothing in them, but default feeds.

Is it possible another program deleted my original files so that Greatnews was forced to create the defaults? Or are you saying that the update has no way of creating these files, but only the installation exe can create these files?

If I take the newsfeed.db file from my backup files and use it to overwrite the one that is now in the installation directory, will it restore my original feeds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

bigbro_51 wrote:

If I take the newsfeed.db file from my backup files and use it to overwrite the one that is now in the installation directory, will it restore my original feeds?

Yes, you can copy over newsfeed.db and greatnews.ini from your backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:27 pm 

Jack Pan wrote:
bigbro_51 wrote:

Yes, you can copy over newsfeed.db and greatnews.ini from your backup.

Thanks Jack, I appreciate your help, that restored everything.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]