Launching ALL links in a view

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

wyldphyre

Launching ALL links in a view

Postby wyldphyre » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:56 am

I'm in the process of trying to improve and/or streamline my feed reading habits, which was part of the reason I started using GN, and I'm making progress.

One of the new habits I'm creating is quick scanning of all my feeds, labelling the ones I want to read as "To Read". This way I can mark everything as read as I work my way through the feeds that have built up since I last checked, and I don't have to manually mark each one as read when I have read it, and I don't have to read the story at that exact moment.

Anyway, thats kind of beside the point :)

Because of this, I thought of an option that I think would be a nice addition. I would like to be able to right click on a label group, and have an option to "Open All In External Browser" (or some similar name). This way once I have labelled everything I want to read as "To Read", I can go to the label group, right click, and launch all of the articles in my external browser (firefox in this case). A imilar option might be able to go on te channels, one that would open all unread in the external browser (or in internal tabs)

It seems like a small option that wouldn't be too hard to implement, but would potentially be very useful depending on how you like to process your feeds.

So, is this something that might be doable?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:25 am

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not hard to implement, but I really worry some users open hundreds of browser tabs by accident.

wyldphyre

Postby wyldphyre » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:40 am

I forgot to say it before, but what I had in mind would only open the ones that were showing in the users current view, so in my case, I use the "simple" view, and it would only open the 10 I have showing on a page for the channels. In the Label group, it could open everything, since that is slightly different. I guess it's up to you on how you want to limit the implementation (not too much I hope) :)

As for people opening a huge number of articles accidentally? Well, you can't protect people from everything, or the applicationwould become a series of onedialog after another asking for confirmation of every action. If they do it once, they might be a lot more motivated to make sure they don't do it again :).

Having said that, I guess you could build in limitations, such as query the user for confirmation if they try to open more than X number of links at once. If you went with that concept, it would be good if X could be configured in the settings, with an appropriate low value by default. Then people should be fairly safe, and power users could customise as they wished.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:15 pm

I'd like to add a menu item "View->Open all articles in current page in external browser" if you can give me a shorter menu text...

wyldphyre

Postby wyldphyre » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:49 am

some possible options

"Open All externally"
"Open all current"
"Open current links"
"Open current articles"
"Open All Articles"

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:22 am

OK. I will use "Open all articles". By default it will open all articles in current page in tabs. If "open links in external browser" was set, they will be sent to external browser instead.

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”