Curio Studio

The Home of GreatNews
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Podcast Folder?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:29 pm 

Hi,

Currently Podcasts by default appear to get save into Cdrive\ Local Settings\Temporay Internet Folder, am I correct?
Is there any way I can save them, by default, into a different folder, so they can be managed more easily?

I should add I like Greater News's speed and "light bright" user interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Admin

GreatNews doesn't download podcast automatically. All it does now is detecting the enclosure and show an icon. I do plan to add download function soon. It will support download into specified folders and generate play list etc. I'd like to collect more suggestions on how this should be implemented. Thanks.

Post subject: Podcatching suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:53 am 

First of all, thanks for making a great product. GreatNews really hits the sweet spot for me as a reader of lots of blogs.

So much so, in fact, that I would really like to use it to manage my podcasts (which I do with iTunes now). I have 20-30 podcasts that I listen to. They are not set to download automatically. Rather, I scan them on a weekly basis, and download what I think is interesting. Here's how GreatNews can beat iTunes silly.

1) Show me all the details about the podcast before I download it. This is unpleasant in iTunes because the podcast comments get stuffed into a single line. GreatNews shows detail much better, but it would be great to show the file size or length.
2) Support categories. iTunes lists podcasts alphabetically. Categorizing podcasts, and building playlists based on those categories would be lovely.
3) Collaboration. iTunes is built for one, when I want to share a podcast with a friend it's really hard. I'd like to be able to email a link to the show I want someone to download. I think GreatNews already supports this.
4) Persistence and deletion. Allow me to delete the podcasts I don't want but keep permanently the ones I do want.
5) Background download. When I review my podcasts, I'll select 5-10 to download simultaneously in the background. iTunes does this well, GreatNews is more obtrusive.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

windyhouser, Thanks for the suggestion. Enhancing podcasting support is one of the higher priority tasks right now. I will probably do this in several phases. My current plan is to add a download basket that will download selected podcasts(by a channel level flag or individually selected) and put into folders with the same name as channels.

I don't use podcast much myself but it's quite interesting to implement. Can you tell me how iTune sends downloaded podcasts to iPod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:56 am 

Please dont forget about those of us who dont use an Ipod and still enjoy podcasts. I currently use Juice (formerly known as Ipodder) but development has pretty much stopped on it. Here are a few suggestions of what I would like to see.

-A schedule setting for when to update/parse podcasts, I dont generally download pods during the day, but at night then in the morning I have a fresh bunch of audio to listen to. Juice allows you to give it 3 set times to check all the feeds for example.

-The ability to roll off, or purge podcasts based on age or number of copies etc.

-Ability to process a command line after the podcast is downloaded, this would allow us to add the downloaded podcast to a players queue, or whatever, this would need a few variables such as the filename with full path etc to be passed from GreatNews

-Ability to set a minimum hard drive free space to prevent overfilling a HD.

-A dream feature would be the ability to possibly filter the filename so you can make sure if there are several feed typs availible you get the one you want.

Thanks again for an awesome product, there is simply no better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

rahlquist, your suggestions are extremely helpful. I will try to implement as much as possible, even if some of them won't be in the first release. Thanks.

Post subject: My thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:46 pm 

Just discovered GreatNews some days ago and I really love it.

I'm using juice (ipodder) to subscribe to podcasts but I think that GreatNews can already be better with not too much modifications.

1. I like the current view of podcasts feeds. Juice really miss that reading pane and I end up never reading comments, show notes,...

2. I would store all podcasts in a dedicated folder with subfolders for each podcast, having the option to mirror the same structure as the feed groups may also be helpfull if you really have a lot of subscriptions

3. I would like to have the option to
- subscribe to a podcast RSS without downloading any audio file, just have a look at the comments, like the current view. Audio length, size, ... would be great;
- download audio files selectively, just clicking on the current podcast icon to download the file would be perfect, a right click option after selecting multiple items in the news list would be another fine way (selection based on titles and no bother with the comments)
- subscribe to the audio files, automatically downloading new episodes when updating the feeds (and maybe the option to manually trigger the downloading of all the podcasts you're subscribed to instead of automatically)

I already switched to GN for podcasts I only download some episodes as I can better see the text before deciding if I want to get the file or not. And I have a copy of all my subscriptions on GN so I'm aware of what new files have been released and I can launch juice at the time I want to download these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:33 am 
Site Admin

jaguarondi, Thanks for the suggestions. Podcasting support is currently lacking in GreatNews. But it's a high priority feature that will be added soon.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:29 am 

Jack wrote:
GreatNews doesn't download podcast automatically. All it does now is detecting the enclosure and show an icon. I do plan to add download function soon. It will support download into specified folders and generate play list etc. I'd like to collect more suggestions on how this should be implemented. Thanks.

Hey... Was just wondering if you ever got around to implementing this function. I currently track some 20 feeds that have enclosed video files in them (like tekzilla from Revision3.com and others). I usually download them to a NAS drive to folders with the shows name so I can later watch the episodes on my media center in the living room, and it would be nice to be able to automatically download each rss feed to it's own folder.