Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

ktm

GreatNews 1.0.387-ktm

Postby ktm » Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am

GreatNews 1.0.387-ktm

Changes:
  • Updated package with additional style sheets from the forum
  • Available styles now listed in alphabetical order on non-NTFS partitions
  • Updated WTL to to 8.1.9127 (was: 8.0.7161)
  • Rebuilt project files from scratch, to get all the benefits VS2008 has to offer
  • Added "Bing" to search channels
  • Tweaked SQLite config to reduce its footprint, and possibly gain more speed
  • Added option to disable the cleanup wizard
  • Some restructuring of the database
  • Integrated DB maintenance tool into main program - upgrades are now applied automatically
  • Updated zlib to 1.2.5
  • Removed greatnews_upgrade.ini/newsfeed_upgrade.db mechanisms (If you want to customize a new installation, simply name the relevant files greatnews.ini/newsfeed.db instead)
  • Added icons to updater and language editor
  • Added some untranslated strings to the English language pack; also updated the German one
  • Waiting in case of an error when updating a feed, then retrying later now working better
  • Modified crash recovery behavior to be more silent
  • Fixed tab order in label properties, feature options and channel settings dialogs

Just dumping what I have right now, as a kind of milestone, since I'm about to start fiddling (privately) with some stuff that's likely to break something.
I've been using this version for the last couple of days; haven't noticed anything odd so far. Still, as always, regard this as unstable for now (feedback's appreciated, even if it's just a short "works for me").

Also, I hereby declare the ANSI builds dead, mostly since VS2008 - what I'm using - doesn't allow building for Win9x any more. Win95/98/ME have all been given their last rites years ago, and every Windows released after those is Unicode enabled, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Attachments
GreatNews-1.0.387-ktm-13-src.7z
Source code
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 1861 times
GreatNews-1.0.387-ktm-13-bin.7z
Full program package, including styles
(707.96 KiB) Downloaded 2325 times

fcmk

Re: GreatNews 1.0.387-ktm

Postby fcmk » Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Immediately after upgrading and updating all my feeds couple of them got a "failed to update channel due to ERROR[5]: database is locked". Those disappeared after I manually updated them.

ktm

Postby ktm » Wed May 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Can't get that reproduced here, unfortunately. You make it sound like a one-off, non-recurring error - correct? If so, while not nice, it's not a deal breaker.

Do you have a lot of feeds? Maybe it's just that they get in each other's way. I sometimes start getting similar-sounding "disk full" errors despite having loads of free space, which won't go away until I restart GN. I got the impression that maybe there might be a thread-related race condition somewhere, but I'm not familiar enough with the code to see where... :?

fcmk

Postby fcmk » Wed May 12, 2010 3:57 pm

I have 66 feeds. I have updated all my feeds repeatedly and can't reproduce the error. Everything else is smooth.

ktm

Postby ktm » Sun May 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Dang, I just noticed: If you start with this version from scratch - that is, without an existing DB file - it gets created with the wrong version number. Right after that, GreatNews tries to upgrade, but fails due to the DB already having the new structure. So, this version doesn't work for new users. (In case you're wondering, if you're upgrading from an earlier version, everything works as intended though. Don't worry.)

warun

Postby warun » Wed May 26, 2010 8:56 am

Hi

For Language selection, can't do it from "Display, Langauge", nothing appears...
Need to update GreatNews.ini to change it.

MysteryFCM

Postby MysteryFCM » Mon May 31, 2010 12:27 am

I'll take a look at this later today, cheers :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Return to “GreatNews Development”