Curio Studio

The Home of GreatNews
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GreatNews 1.0.386-ktm
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 pm 

Here we go... No big changes, just some small stuff for now (not that I've anything big planned):

Changes:
+ Removed CVS directories and lots of other unnecessary artifacts
+ Updated project files to Visual Studio 2008 (Sorry if you're stuck with 2005, I don't have that one and don't feel like going back to 2003...)
+ Removed outdated/non-working project targets
+ ATL Server isn't included in VS2K8 - I added it as an external library. Get it here: http://www.codeplex.com/AtlServer
+ Updated zlib to 1.2.4 (was: 1.2.1 - Two of the three intermediate updates were security critical!)
+ Updated SQLite to 3.6.23.1 (was: 3.6.11)
+ Worked around a Wine annoyance related to InternetSetOption()

My TODO list:
+ Update loki from 0.1.6 to 0.1.7
+ Update WTL from 8.0.7161 to 8.1.9127
+ Fix off-by-one error in the page counter when in "10x" view
+ Fix tab order on quite a few dialogs
+ Look at various Wine-related bugs
+ Expand style capabilities to unstyled parts (activity, home, noitem, statistics)
+ Tell Shobjidl.h we're using >= IE 6.0 SP2 (so its NWMF enum works)
+ Remove online version checks and auto-updater? (Since there likely won't be any new versions on the official homepage)
+ Make an updated complete package with themes from forums
+ Maybe write a NSIS installer

(TL;DR: Updated some libraries, did some housekeeping.)

Binary: GreatNews-1.0.386-ktm-bin.7z (should be a drop-in replacement for builds 384+385, therefore it's just the naked exe)
Source package: GreatNews-1.0.386-ktm-src.7z

Attachments:
File comment: 1.0 Build 386 binary
GreatNews-1.0.386-ktm-bin.7z [550.22 KiB]
Downloaded 905 times
File comment: Source code
GreatNews-1.0.386-ktm-src.7z [1.81 MiB]
Downloaded 798 times

Last edited by MysteryFCM on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attached files to post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:48 am 
Site Admin

Wow. This is fast! Thanks KTM. I will publish your release out this weekend.

I haven't thought about how to coordinate efforts - GreatNews was a pet project... But it won't be very efficient if we have many different branches of GreatNews flying around. Ideally we can have a centralized source code repository and bug tracking. I thought about source forge, but I don't like svn... Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:22 am 

Jack wrote:
I will publish your release out this weekend.

Does that mean it's getting promoted to be an official release? If so, great! :) If you plan to keep doing that, there'd be no need to remove the online check and updater.

About a central repository: Can't see what's wrong with SVN. I haven't used git, hg etc. enough to really say anything about those yet, but SVN's definitely superior to CVS... (Not that I'd mind much if you insisted on CVS, anything's better than what I've been forced to use: RCS). Anyways: Theres lots and lots of possibilities for off-site project hosting besides SF.

Or you could just setup a server right here, that way you'd avoid having the split between this forum and whereever the source ends up. I'd suggest thinking about going with a little more than just a barebones VCS - Maybe TRAC? Personally, I like Fossil too, but that might be too minimalistic for some.

Oh, and as long as we're still limited to these forums, could you increase the attachment size limit, if at all possible, for this subforum, please? 256KB might be a little on the tight side, and those rapidshare links I posted are only good for 10 downloads each. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:18 pm 

Nice one :)

I've increased the max attachment size :)

With respect to centralization, I'll be happy to donate some server space if required?

/edit

I've attached the files to your post for you.

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:22 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks this version seems a little bit faster? Might be the updated SQLite, as its changelog seems to have quite a bit performance enhancements.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:33 am 

fcmk,

you are not the only one! I can verify the speed increase myself, as I have two separate instances of GN, one running daily feeds and one running constantly updated ones - and both show an increase ;)

Which is great, because sometimes it bugged me a lot that the DB did not refresh that quickly and I was waiting for new items to show...

Great work!