This is simple the best RSS reader (also, some suggestions)

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Dexter_prog

This is simple the best RSS reader (also, some suggestions)

Postby Dexter_prog » Sun May 22, 2011 1:34 pm

After trying lots of RSS readers I came to the conclusion that GreatNews is simple the best as it seems to have the features that most have and lack from one another. I tried: Omea reader, Feed Demon, Mozilla Thunderbird (only for the RSS function), RSSowl, and some others I don't remember.

What I love about GreatNews
- Multiple rows for feeds: this sole feature makes it the best RSS reader. I love it
- Ability to see all new feeds by clicking on a group folder: believe it or not, some RSS readers don't have this feature. And some that do have it won't focus to the new feeds
- Feed spliter (while viewing a folder): it's be best one I've seen. Most readers have faint divisors that are kinda hard to see if you are taking a glance at feeds
- "Show all" button

Suggestions:
- Ability to change the font size
- Ability to mark feeds as read after moving away from the viewed folder: that is to say, the same behavior that one can set for feeds. I watch my feeds by clicking on the group folder (e.g.: comics) and have to manually do CTRL+R on each folder to mark them as read
- Customizable key binding: I'd love to have a key combination to mark ALL as read

ktm

Re: This is simple the best RSS reader (also, some suggestio

Postby ktm » Sat May 28, 2011 5:47 am

Dexter_prog wrote:- Ability to change the font size

Well... You could edit whichever stylesheet you're using to get that effect.
Also, IE's zoom features seem to work for the reading pane, too. I can't reproduce it right now, but I do keep accidentally zooming all over the place occasionally... Pretty annoying imho. Look up what keyboard shortcuts IE has for that and give it a try.

Dexter_prog wrote:- Ability to mark feeds as read after moving away from the viewed folder: that is to say, the same behavior that one can set for feeds.

Good point, right now that's not working as one would expect it to. Let's flag that as a bug :wink:

Dexter_prog wrote:- Customizable key binding: I'd love to have a key combination to mark ALL as read

Customizable isn't likely to happen, but a hardcoded one should be trivial to include in one of the next versions.

Return to “General”