anyone else have problems using news watches?

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

bilyth

anyone else have problems using news watches?

Postby bilyth » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:33 pm

when i try to use news watch feature, my feeds list flickers & i cannot see the "next" or "cancel" buttons. i can't seem to "select" my feed groups. the same thing happens when i do cleanup wizard...

anyone else have this problem. (the list keeps flickering & i can't really see much else).

thanks.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 pm

You mean the feed tree flicks when you have news watch?

News watch does slow down GreatNews a little bit simply because it has to search every articles to match keywords. But this part is heavily optimized, and usually not visible to user.

muntealb

Postby muntealb » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 am

I have a news alert set to inform me of selected software updates (for example when GreatNews, uTorrent, etc. are updated). I did not see any problem with the display and the alert has run for the last two months now.

Your problem is related to the operating system. Try to reinstall it.

bilyth

Postby bilyth » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:12 pm

hmm i don't think i'm explaining my problem very clearly & it sounds like i'm the only one with this problem. (can someone explain how to insert an image..i'll insert a screen shot).

this is definitely a greatnews only issue (i'm definitely not going to re=install my OS for this..for now).

it's not just news alerts; i'm having trouble with cleanup wizard- whenever i choose these things..a new windows opens which lists the feeds & there are supposed to be button options on the side & bottom (ie select all, clear all, next, cancel). the problem is, i can't see anything- the feed lists are all flickering & i don't see the buttons on the right side to know what to select. (i'll put up a screen shot when i learn how & you'll "see" what i see. basically i can't see anything but a few flickering feeds..it's almost like it's frozen).

anyways, i'll put a screen shot up when someone tells me how to. thanks.[/img]

muntealb

Postby muntealb » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:11 am

You have a display problem with GreatNews, everyone understood that. It happens, I have a similar problem (flickering) with DC++ 0.704, which is unstable and also has other bugs. But I never had this problem with GN, nor anyone else that reads the forum. That's why I say that the problem is not caused by GN, but by the software configuration of your system (there are programs that delete system files when they are uninstalled, maybe one such program deleted a file that was also used by GN).

As for the screenshot you can upload it to http://imageshack.us/ and then post the link in a message.

MGroenewald

Postby MGroenewald » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:15 pm

The same happens to me. I can change the 'words to watch' or properties of one or two news watches with no problem. If I then move on to the next news watch, I can make changes, but on the next dialog box (the one where you choose which feeds to watch, the box flickers and the only way to get out of that is to end task.

bilyth

Postby bilyth » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm

yeah, MGroenewald- that's exactly what i'm getting.

here's a screen shot posted on image shack (hope i did it ok)

http://img152.imageshack.us/content.php ... ureyw4.png

the only thing you don't see in the screen shot is under "watch selected feeds"; the list of feeds flicker in & out. the outline of the dialog box & "x" (close) is visible too & the only way to get out is to click that "x" to close. no other buttons are visible (but i know they're there).

i'm not sure if it's related to a memory thing- when i was trying to screen capture, it kept say insufficient memory..so i close everything else & i was finally able to do a cleanup wizard (no flickering or frozen screen). but..once all closed, i tried to add a news watch, & the dialog box did the same thing as in the image.

everything else on my computer works perfectly fine (so that's why i'm sure in GN & not a system thing). fyi- P4 2.66 Ghz w/ 1.49 Gb ram win xp.

i have some suspicions it may be related to the # of feeds i have. (i have 4119 new feeds- how many do you have MGroenewak?)

MGroenewald

Postby MGroenewald » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:30 am

2200 feeds at the moment, but I have weeded out about 2000 during the past 3 months. Could also be the number of unread items? Mine goes up to 8000 or 10 000 at times, which is why I need the news watches :)
I do have a habit of pushing the limits of any program I use ...
Martie

muntealb

Postby muntealb » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:49 am

Of course the flickering problem can be caused by the number of feeds. I never had more than 300 feeds at the same time (now I have ony 60) so that's why I never had such a problem with GN. I don't think that the problem is the number of unread items (I have more than 3000 now).

Having thousand of feeds is a sign of some pretty heavy usage. I don't think that at this time GN or other feed readers are prepared to handle resource intensive operations (like filtering) with so many feeds.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:07 am

2000 feeds is probably too much to handle :) The largest number I ever tried is 1200.

MGroenewald

Postby MGroenewald » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:33 pm

I seldom have problems with GN though, just the occasional flicker. Impressive!

bilyth

Postby bilyth » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:46 pm

yeah otherwise i'm also very impressed with GN. a few little more tweaks would be nice to add to the program..but otherwise it's very impressive.

ah well, i guess i can't use the news alerts

muntealb

Postby muntealb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:34 am

Yes, you can use news alerts. But there is no need to run the monitoring on all the feeds, given that you have a very big number of them. Maybe that would work if you had a quad-core with 4GB of RAM, otherwise the system cannot cope with the load put on the processor and memory.

Group the feeds by topic, then run the News Alert 1 on the first group of feeds, the News Alert 2 on the second group of feeds, and so on. I run my news alerts just like that, I don't want GN to filter all the feeds for a particular word, only a group of them.

bilyth

Re: anyone else have problems using news watches?

Postby bilyth » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm

i found a "solution" (sort of) to my issue of flickering non-visible screen when i try to run cleanups or set up news alerts. (see my previous post for description & screen capture).

I've found that if i run win xp in safe mode & only run greatnews..i am able to see the program properly when i do cleanup..so it's suggesting a resource issue to me.

i don't know why because GN runs amazingly normally..it's only when i try to run a cleanup or news alert does it get funny.

anyways, very inconvenient way to run a cleanup but i think my db file is happier (cleared out 22000 feeds!!).

hopefully this provides a hint to those developing this software.

bt

bilyth

Re: anyone else have problems using news watches?

Postby bilyth » Thu May 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Ok, anyone else have this problem & found a solution.

My "fix" of rebooting into safemode isn't working anymore. So i cannot run cleanup wizard at all. I think GN is slowing things down because of it & i'm getting c++ runtime error crashes with GN very often...i think it's related to not cleaning up GN.

I need help. Someway to run cleanup in GN or from outside GN.

basically, i go to cleanup & everything is flickering in GN & i can't see the buttons. i have to end task to stop the cleanup. Please don't tell me to re-install my OS. This problem only happens with GN.

thanks.

Return to “General”