Question about saving articles

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

davidd31415

Question about saving articles

Postby davidd31415 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:14 am

Hi,

I'm new to the entire world of RSS. I understand why a help file may not exist in GreatNews since it is free but how about a forum dedicated to questions/answers?

Anyway, A few of my feeds just show me several lines of an article and then I need to click "continue" to read the rest. Is this just a ploy of the RSS author to force me to visit their website?

I'd like to know the best way to save "favorite" articles for future reference. I see the two links to Del.ico.us and Furl, which I haven't tried out yet, but I was hoping for a local-solution.

My hope with this program is to be able to setup watches to look for certain news articles. So far I found that searching for the keyword at Topix.net and then adding that page as a feed worked nicely and I also tried a Feedster feed...

Any advice/direction will be appreciated! Thanks

Dave.

davidd31415

Postby davidd31415 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am

I am also curious, how can I view the messages that GreatNews has left in my system tray?

I clicked the pin to keep the the messages about my new watch messages up but I must have re-closed it. Is there a way to view the past messages or at lesat a current update of what would be said in that system tray window ???

Dave

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:47 am

Hi David, Welcome to GreatNews forum. This forum is the right place for support Q&As.

Some RSS authors opt to provide only partial text so they won't miss too many page hits. Some others solve this issue by embedding ads in their feeds, while providing whole articles.

GreatNews downloads articles and save them locally. You can apply Lables to them for easier reference. There's a feature I'm working on that will make a copy of certain labeled articles, so they won't be deleted even you unsubscribe the feed. Del.ico.us and Furl will give you online bookmark. They don't really archive the articles. So if the article is taken off line, you will lose them.

GreatNews supports something called Search Channel that might be useful to you.

The popup only shows the latest messages. Past messages can be found under each feed. If you set filter to show only Unread articles, it might be not too hard to find them.

davidd31415

Postby davidd31415 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Thanks Jack! I'm curious, what languages do you code GreatNews in?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:56 pm

davidd31415 wrote:Thanks Jack! I'm curious, what languages do you code GreatNews in?

It's written in Visual C++.

Return to “General”