Faint font in Newsfeed tree

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Faint font in Newsfeed tree

Postby DBC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:12 am

Second attempt at getting to grips with RSS after a dismal failure with another program last year. I really like GN, though.

It would be useful, though, for non-techies like me to have some sort of Help file or tutorial, but I couldn't find one. Even a page would have helped. For example:

I am using it with FireFox 2.0 and was expecting (and looked for) some sort of plugin but, lo and behold, it seemed to work with it fine without one.

I was a bit puzzled by the Validator - i.e. what exactly was it telling me about a site? That I shouldn't bother trying? I couldn't always tell, but blasted ahead anyway.

And here is my Newbie question: For some reason, the group and feeds I have added are all in a faint silver font, unlike the others which are in bold or regular. I can see that bold must be for new data waiting to be read, and regular font for data that has been read - or something like that. But what is the program trying to tell me with the silver font? Is it just silver because I made the Group and chose the feeds? And how can I change this feature without screwing something up - to put it technically :-)

Site Admin

Postby Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:35 pm

GreatNews is not a FF 2.0 plugin. You can config GreatNews to hookup FF 2.0 RSS subscription though.

The validator just show if the feed is valid or not. GreatNews actually much less restrict than the validator. Usually you don't have to check at all.

The silver color means the groups and feeds are disabled. I guess you enabled "Do not update this feed/group" option for them. This option controls that Automatic Update, or Update All will skip this group/feed.

Postby DBC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:08 pm

Thanks. As you say, I must have disabled the automatic feed during installation.

Everything is going swimmingly now.

All the best,

Return to “General”