[solved] Newsfeed does not open reader pane: "access denied"

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Lupercus

[solved] Newsfeed does not open reader pane: "access denied"

Postby Lupercus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Hi !

First of all, I LOVE GreatNews - have it installed on my homecomputer for some time now and that works wonderfull.

Now I have tried to use the same installer (V374) on my laptop.
Everything installs fine, but when clicking on a newsfeed a Windows-error message pops up that I have no permission to open the file C:\Documents and Settings\my-name=windows login\Local Settings\Temp\~N17_0.htm
I have administrative rights on this Windows account.
That directory is the correct temp-directory, GN creates the HTML files correctly, I can click on it and IE opens with the correct summary-page.
Moreover, I can even drag-and-drop the HTML file in GN and it will show correctly.

It won't however open in GN when clicking the newsfeeds in the left-side column, always giving that same error message.
Other newsfeeds give the same error, different HTML file of course.

Using XP-Pro SP2 and IE6, all patches installed.

Any suggestions ??
Last edited by Lupercus on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lupercus

update

Postby Lupercus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:20 am

Feels a bit silly to reply to my own message, but after three hours of further testing I ran out of ideas.

What I did:
1. run GN from my desktop
2. installed GN in the temp directory
3. I even changed the Temp directory to a different drive, where all users have all rights (changed that even in the controlsets in the registry)
4. checked all local security settings and made them the same as they are on the desktopcomputer that has a functioning GN, checked the security settings within explorer
5. installed GN on a second laptop, (same brand = IBM's Thinkpad with XP Pro SP2 pre-installed)

All with the same results: GN creates the HTML files correctly in the Temp directory, but acces through GN is denied, when "dropping" that file on GN it displays correctly.

I can mention that GN is so far the only app that has this problem. Furthermore, so far I always did use on both laptops RSSBandit, and now I also tried RSSReader - both have no problems.

Perhaps GreatNews has a distaste for Thinkpads?? :roll:

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:05 pm

My notebook is a x31 so I'm pretty sure GreatNews works on ThankPad :)

I never tried installing GreatNews into temp directory. Can you try to unzip GreatNews to c:\GreatNews, and run from there? Not sure if Windows XP has some special restriction on temp dir or not.

Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:35 am

Jack Pan wrote:I never tried installing GreatNews into temp directory. Can you try to unzip GreatNews to c:\GreatNews, and run from there? Not sure if Windows XP has some special restriction on temp dir or not.

Well, alas the same results from a freshly created C:\GreatNews directory.

And yes, it seems to have to do with permissions, but as I mentioned before, the security settings on the Thankpads (love that name :lol:) are exactly the same as on the desktop computer that has no problem at all.

I noticed another strange thing that may give a clue to what's happening. The "most visited" page shows correctly, notwithstanding the fact that ~statistics.html is also located in \Temp.
So, here no problem with permissions ...

Could it be the fact that the statisctics page has a HTML extension and the feeds all have the extension HTM ?(not very likely, but you never know ...)
Or, is there a difference in the routine for loading that statistics page and the newsfeeds pages?

Just guessing ...

Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:55 am

Just gave version 376 a try, same results, "access denied to source ~..htm" in the Temp directory.
The program can create the file, and version 376 is correctly deleting the files on exit, but GN can not read the created HTM file itself, opening that file in Explorer 6 manually is, as normal, possible.

Does the non-rersponsiveness to this topic mean that nobody else is experiencing this problem, or is it the wrong sub-forum?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:00 am

This is the first time I heard this problem. I don't know how to fix it if I can't reproduce it. But as a workaround you can try to specify temp file location by adding the following lines to greatnews.ini

[Advanced]
TempDirectory=C:\Temp

See if it works

Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:32 am

Thanx, Jack ...

That did not do the trick.
However, I DID find the solution !

As I wrote earlier, I suspected it had something to do with the routine that loads the HTM files.

Apparently it is something like "file://URL", because after changing value of the registry key
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFileUrl
from 1 to 0 everything worked as it should.

Thank you anyway for your attention!

Return to “General”