How much will GreatNews cost?

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Terryphi

How much will GreatNews cost?

Postby Terryphi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:39 am

I see that GreatNews is shown on BetaNews as shareware. Have you decided yet how much you intend charging to register the final version?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 pm

It's undecided yet. If it's released as of now it will be about $30. Or it may be a free lite version and higher priced pro version. Personally I like just to have one version that does it all, but some users are probably not interested in offline reading, archiving, pod-casting etc.

Terryphi

Postby Terryphi » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:39 am

I would prefer a version that has only basic features rather than a version with features I will not use. Anway, congratulations on producing a marvellous piece of software!

Diaz

Postby Diaz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:36 am

How about a "full feature" ad sponsored version? Kinda like Eudora utilizes

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:59 pm

Diaz wrote:How about a "full feature" ad sponsored version? Kinda like Eudora utilizes

This could be an option. A big flashing ad banner will certainly destroy GreatNews. But I think the advertising software package got to have involved since 1998. I would like to find a subtle way of display some useful links within GreatNews to keep it free.

Diaz

Postby Diaz » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:15 am

If you did go that route, it should defnitely be something unobtrusive. Eudora has a smallish square in the lower left hand corner that displays an "ad-link" graphic. I am not a big fan of ad sponsored software but in the time I used Eudora it wasn't a bother. I do beelieve they hold a couple of features back for the paid version (server side services I think) but for the most part it is fully functional for the end user.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:36 pm

Diaz wrote:If you did go that route, it should defnitely be something unobtrusive. Eudora has a smallish square in the lower left hand corner that displays an "ad-link" graphic. I am not a big fan of ad sponsored software but in the time I used Eudora it wasn't a bother. I do beelieve they hold a couple of features back for the paid version (server side services I think) but for the most part it is fully functional for the end user.

I'd hope it's subtler than that. I have to check out what packages are available these days.

gate1975mlm

Postby gate1975mlm » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:40 pm

Jack Pan wrote:
Diaz wrote:If you did go that route, it should defnitely be something unobtrusive. Eudora has a smallish square in the lower left hand corner that displays an "ad-link" graphic. I am not a big fan of ad sponsored software but in the time I used Eudora it wasn't a bother. I do beelieve they hold a couple of features back for the paid version (server side services I think) but for the most part it is fully functional for the end user.

I'd hope it's subtler than that. I have to check out what packages are available these days.
Just don't add spyware or adware or any of that junk please :D

Keep it clean.

Veloxi

Postby Veloxi » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:07 pm

Hey there, any thoughts as to when it will go commercial and be available for purchase? I'd buy it on the spot as soon as it does. I love this thing. Thanks for a truly wonderful program. :)

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:17 pm

I don't have a time table for when GreatNews will go commercial. I did several deals with companies that wanted GreatNews, but I don't think I have the resource to support retail customers. Quality wise, paid and free GreatNews are the same, so enjoy :)

Return to “General”