Offline reading

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

maddie

Offline reading

Postby maddie » Sun May 14, 2006 12:23 pm

I usually scan through Greatnews for headlines and when something interesting crops up, I would click on the link to read the full article. If the article has got reference value, I would then convert into PDF for archiving.

My question is does Greatnews have the capability to archive the full articles (based on my selection) for offline reading in future for reference purposes?

Or rather are there any RSS reader that offers such functionality?

I have tested FeedDemon's news bin but it merely archives the headlines only and not the full article; which I can basically do so in Greatnews bu not cleaning up old news items. :lol:

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun May 14, 2006 1:56 pm

GreatNews doesn't have true offline archiving function yet because images are not archived. If you need it now, http://www.onfolio.com/ is probably the best.

jackvinson

Postby jackvinson » Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am

There was a NewsGator plugin that would grab an entire post from the original source that was great for feeds that only offered excerpts.

I'm surious how poeple deal with offline reading and the frequent problem of needing to check a website that is referenced in the articles. Do you label the posts as "read later" or do you open the page and use the browser's "could not open this" as a reminder to read it later? Are there other options?

Jack

maddie

Postby maddie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 am

GreatNews wrote:GreatNews doesn't have true offline archiving function yet because images are not archived. If you need it now, http://www.onfolio.com/ is probably the best.

I do not understand what you mean by "true offline archiving"? And I love GreatNews too much to move to another product. I guess I can live without this feature :lol:

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 pm

GreatNews doesn't archive graphics locally. But I'm glad you like GreatNews nevertheless :wink:

maddie

Postby maddie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:15 am

So would there be plans to support both archiving graphics locally and the ability to grab the entire post even though only the excerpt is shown?

:D

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:17 am

maddie wrote:So would there be plans to support both archiving graphics locally and the ability to grab the entire post even though only the excerpt is shown?

:D

I'm afriad only the first part will be implemented. :)

Return to “General”