No automatic redirect to external browser

Everything else

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

tamtentaki

No automatic redirect to external browser

Postby tamtentaki » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 am

Hello,
Every time I click on feed I'm automatically redirected to Firefox (the focus set on firefox). And what I need is: the focus stay in GreatNews and the page I clicked to open in background (so no focus on Firefox), so I could open several pages and then go to Firefox and read them.
I know I can do it by SHIFT+click, but would like to do it whithout SHIFT. Is it possible?
ThankU for any help

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:30 pm

right now it's by design. I'm considering middle click to open external browser at background. But not sure if it can be done. A lot of browsers bring itself to front regardless how it's configured.

tamtentaki

Can be done :)

Postby tamtentaki » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:53 am

I've used RSSBandit (it's great rss reader, but too heavy for my hardware and needs .NET framework) and it can work like I described.

Greetings and thanks for GreatNews - it's exactly what I've been searching for.

Jack
Site Admin

Re: Can be done :)

Postby Jack » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:05 pm

tamtentaki wrote:I've used RSSBandit (it's great rss reader, but too heavy for my hardware and needs .NET framework) and it can work like I described.

Greetings and thanks for GreatNews - it's exactly what I've been searching for.

My FF always stays in background with links open in new tab. I did change some setting about opening new tab. I actually got some requests on getting FF to foreground!

tamtentaki

Postby tamtentaki » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:00 am

Well... I think it's a question of GreatNews, because when I use other software (like i.e. 40tude Dialog) it opens links and FF in background and GreatNews doesn't.
I checked many settings in my FF (I have Tab Mix Plus extension) and couldnt do nothing about it.

meatypuffs

Postby meatypuffs » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:38 pm

I wish there was an option to keep GreatNews in the foreground when opening links in an external browser too. I prefer reading through all of my feeds (10 or 11 total) and open any links that are appealing to me all at once, instead of jumping between reader and browser (firefox). Shift+left click works well at this, but I hate having to press the shift key down because I always open links in a default browser and I always want GreatNews to stay in the forefront.

Could you add an option that would allow us to specify if we'd like to keep GreatNews in the forefront when opening links to another browser, and allow that option to work for a single or double left click?

FeedReader 2.9 (http://www.feedreader.com) had a similar option, and it was my favorite option of that reader. GreatNews is easily the best reader I've ever used, but this is the one feature I wish it had.

Dunderklumpen

Postby Dunderklumpen » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:09 am

Strongly Second that. A feature to open links in the externa browser in the background is a must.

:lol:
/Regards Mikael Winterkvist
(http://mikael.winterkvist.com)

Return to “General”