Curio Studio

The Home of GreatNews
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nested Channel Groups?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:44 am 

hi,

first of all, wanted to say that GreatNews is a wonderful program. it makes better use of screen real estate than any aggregator i've used, seems really stable and well-behaved in terms of resource usage.

one feature that seems missing though after trying newzcrawler and rss bandit is the ability to have nested channel groups (sub-groups). it would be extremely helpful for those of us with lots of channels to keep things nice and tidy instead of being overwhelmed by the vast number of channels we have subscribed to.

thanks again for the great app!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:23 pm 
I agree i use rss bandit (and am looking to transition away) and i am too used to my nested groups. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Supporting Nested groups is among the most requested features. There're two reasons GreatNews doesn't support it so far. One is that GreatNews trys to break fixed structures among articles by offering multiple ways to aggregate, eg. by label, by news watch, and some other ways I'm working hard on(hint: the current GreatNews is actually a dumb rss reader). Another one is that there are some subtle usability issues caused by nested groups.

That said I understand the pain of not having hirarchical structure, especially for users from other readers. I will consider this feature more carefully in beta 2 phase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:08 am 

sorry if this has been requested before. i did a few searches of the board, but did not find anything.

what about doing away with groups completely, and only having labels/watches? - but, giving users the option to automatically label all new stories from a particular channel. eg, all fresh off the press stories from gizmodo can be automatically be labelled "tech".

currently, with labels, you have to manually label a story you've already looked at. this works well if you are looking to save items on a specific topic.

watches work similarly to labels in that they automatically find existing/new incoming news on a specific topic. i just ran a watch using the words CISCO IOS - now i have all these great stories about the black hat presentation on cisco ios hacking (a few duplicates though, which would be nice to be able to remove in a future version ;-)

the way labels and watches work now doesn't help if we just want to browse the news. for this, we need some sort of hierarchical structure. adobe photoshop album is an example of a program that uses hierarchical labels, and it works quite well. having some sort of hierarchy just makes it easy when you want to browse tech news and then focus on networking and then check out security or sports, baseball, soccer. using gizmodo again as an example, all those stories could be labeled "tech: personal tech".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that's the goal. I intend to get rid of fixed grouping altogether and replace it with automatically generated categories and scores. Not very easy to do and probably ruin GreatNews's speed, but I don't want a "me too" reader anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:07 am 

sounds very neat. can't wait to see it in action! if it only makes GreatNews as slow as some of the other aggregators out there, it should be well worth the sacrifice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:10 am 

GreatNews wrote:
Not very easy to do and probably ruin GreatNews's speed...

Please let this never ever happen! Speed is one of GN's greatest advantages over other clients ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Alexander wrote:
Please let this never ever happen! Speed is one of GN's greatest advantages over other clients ;)

The feature will need much more cpu resources than GreatNews currently uses. But it won't be noticable to user as it happens at background when CPU is mostly idling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:26 am 

GreatNews wrote:
The feature will need much more cpu resources than GreatNews currently uses. But it won't be noticable to user as it happens at background when CPU is mostly idling.

Well here is the thing: I am quite happy that GN doesn't consume much CPU while my computer is idling. I'm running GN on two Centrino-based notebooks, both which utilize Intel's speedstep technology. The more they get out of idle mode, the more battery they use and the hotter they get. FeedDemon, which I had used in the past, was so CPU-intensive that I only started it to check for feed updates and then exited it again.

Please, if you are planning to add this feature which will require "much more cpu resources", consider making this an option. Speed is GN's greatest strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Alexander wrote:
Well here is the thing: I am quite happy that GN doesn't consume much CPU while my computer is idling. I'm running GN on two Centrino-based notebooks, both which utilize Intel's speedstep technology. The more they get out of idle mode, the more battery they use and the hotter they get. FeedDemon, which I had used in the past, was so CPU-intensive that I only started it to check for feed updates and then exited it again.

Please, if you are planning to add this feature which will require "much more cpu resources", consider making this an option. Speed is GN's greatest strength.

I see what you mean. I will definitely consider your concern when implementing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:25 pm 

Speed speed speed with minimal resource usage makes GN the undisputed RSS reader champ in my book. Please , never, ever, ever sacrifice these features (or at least preserve the option to maintain them.) Please please please. Slowing things down will definitely make it a me too reader. Now its all alone.