Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

patrick013

One or two things

Postby patrick013 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 am

Hello,

One thing this program does is lose count of pages when it reads
news items that are labeled in that directory. Setting it to 999
solves that. But, otherwise if you are on the last page in a label
directory, say page 4, the program says you are on page 2 or 3.

The only other thing is the screen flickers on start-up once. Of
course other programs usually don't do that. Very fast start-up
so maybe a start-up pause 1/2 second command would let the
whole screen catch up to the rest of the program. I'm running
the 386 portable version on 900mhz netbook with a SSD.

If I could mark messages in a whole directory unread it would
help. It marks them read OK but not unread, so I can read
certain subfolders again in a main folder.

This program is slightly slower than some others when downloading
feeds. That's usually because it does more, collecting comments which
other programs do not do, or using disk writes when RAM should
be used before a batched disk write. Anything loaded into RAM
before a disk write is even hours faster sometimes.

I wish I could reply to a blog offline and upload comments when the
RSS feed is updated but I can't see where that is possible. The
LiveWriter is working very smooth, both MSN and Google blogs.

How is 387 so far ? Stable enough or still tentatively being tested ?

THX.

Patrick

ktm

Re: One or two things

Postby ktm » Sun May 23, 2010 4:21 pm

patrick013 wrote:One thing this program does is lose count of pages when it reads news items that are labeled in that directory.

That's been annoying me since forever, too. However, I finally got around to fixing it just now!

patrick013 wrote:The only other thing is the screen flickers on start-up once.

Please clarify, that exactly flickers? The whole screen? The whole GN window? Only part of the GN window?

"patrick013" wrote:If I could mark messages in a whole directory unread it would help.

Try right-clicking on a feed while holding down Ctrl. (Assuming that by "directory" you mean "feed". Doesn't work for groups.)
...and no, that isn't documented anywhere. I only just found it while adding the relevant menu entries, noticing how similar ones were already there. Anyone up for writing some documentation?

patrick013 wrote:(...) or using disk writes when RAM should be used before a batched disk write.

Without some major changes, the next best thing would be to keep the whole DB in memory at all times, vastly increasing the chance of data loss on a crash (actually, guaranteeing it). If that's worth it for you, maybe try running GN off a ramdisk.

patrick013 wrote:How is 387 so far ? Stable enough or still tentatively being tested ?

No bugs reported besides the one from fcmk and another one I just found. So it's either fine or wrecking people's computers thoroughly enough so they can't report anything ;)

patrick013

Re: One or two things

Postby patrick013 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 am

Hello,

Last night I tried to backup and restore XP with LINUX. Took about 12 -14 minutes, except it doesn't know how to copy .NET Framework files and gave some errors. Shadow copy takes over an hour, but gives errors on .NET Framework too. Had an SQL report that ran about 3-4 hours, another program ran the exact same report in about 35-40 minutes. I'm surprised LINUX was so super fast and lucky I didn't mess things up trying to copy back these new .NET support files that LINUX doesn't have. Somebody has a quick read/write process going on in one program but not the other or at least a quicker one. This LINUX does run completely in RAM so I just don't know then. But, putting the input in RAM (feed updates) and when large enough making one write to disk is one "shop talk" way of speeding things up, not the whole program or database. Two or three disk writes instead of 40 or 50 hypothetically. GN's not slow anyway.

Screen flicker is a two part process. Half or partial of the whole GN window screen colors come on then a few seconds later the other half appears and the screen colors are OK. It doesn't load up all the colors at once just the window frame. Maybe my video card has limits. Firefox doesn't do this, it just pops up 100%.

Thanks for the right click. I'll recommend a menu
option for a feed then.

Turned the speaker off so when changing feeds it
wouldn't click. How about bells ?

I'll think I'll stay with 386 (nonportable) then. It works.

THX.

Patrick

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”