Google Reader Integration

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

timh2144

Google Reader Integration

Postby timh2144 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 am

Thanks for creating such a good, easy to use tool.
I've noticed competitors to GreatNews (e.g. FeedDemon) are integrating with the Google Reader API, as well as (or instead of) the Bloglines integration already within GreatNews.
Might be worth looking at allowing integration with that API as well, to increase available market connection of browse anywhere?
Google Reader is probably here to stay, whether we love it or hate it (not looking to start a religious war here...)

drsprite

Re: Google Reader Integration

Postby drsprite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:26 pm

I'll second this request!

I really love GreatNews better than any of the other RSS readers out there. I tried about 10 other apps, and the story line formatting in GreatNews is by far the best for me to easily and quickly make it through the number of sites I check daily. Best of all, GreatNews is portable!

That being said, I'm trying to simplify my life. My mobile device gets its feeds from Google Reader, and when I forget my GreatNews portable app USB device, I also go to Google Reader. It's annoying to read the same stories two or three times...

Would it be possible to integrate Synchronization with Google Reader? I see this as an option to enhance the program, not replace it. Keep it how it is with all the current features, but allow category or feed sync with Google Reader. I also see another benefit here would be reducing the local cache footprint since that caching would reside with Google.

Since the GreatNews source has gone GPL, I'm hopeful the GreatNews team can help out sooner than later?

If donating helps get this feature integrated, then count me in for a donation!

Thanks! :D

drsprite

Postby drsprite » Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 am

Anyone have any thoughts?

A lot of page reads, but no replies. We can't be the only 2 wanting this feature! :)

ktm

Postby ktm » Wed May 12, 2010 7:38 am

I don't use neither Google Reader (tried it a looong while back though), nor BlogLines (never tried that one at all), and my time is limited, so bear with me if I'm not "getting" something here.

Seeing how GR is another feed reader, what kind of integration are you thinking of? Just syncing subscriptions (possible, maybe worth a look)? Tracking which items have been read on either GN or GR, then syncing that to the other (very extensive changes needed)? Does GR have publishing capabilities that could/should be integrated?

I also see another benefit here would be reducing the local cache footprint since that caching would reside with Google.

(I assume you're talking about cached news, since the browser cache is always local.) Now, that sounds like a complete rewrite of (at least) the backend. Very unlikely to happen, unless you'd like to do it yourself...

drsprite

Postby drsprite » Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 am

ktm-

Thanks for taking some of your time to post a reply.

Seeing how GR is another feed reader, what kind of integration are you thinking of? Just syncing subscriptions (possible, maybe worth a look)? Tracking which items have been read on either GN or GR, then syncing that to the other (very extensive changes needed)?

Yes, exactly what I'm looking for. Syncing between GR and GN. Sync which articles have been read, which have been unread - and maybe the ability to Star so that it can be saved/reviewed later.

For example, I would imagine there are 2 options here from within GN options:

1) Run GN as you would today with local subscriptions and GN would manage the polling/read/unread count. Nothing new here.
2) ADDED Feature: Run GN with GR sync, where it would take it's subscription categories/feeds/etc from GR, that way syncing is true. Then when GN does it's update poll (mine is set to every 15 minutes), have it sync with GR as well to update which to mark as read.

Does GR have publishing capabilities that could/should be integrated?

Sorry, I'm not a developer, so I don't know. Jack may be able to weigh in here?

I also see another benefit here would be reducing the local cache footprint since that caching would reside with Google.

(I assume you're talking about cached news, since the browser cache is always local.) Now, that sounds like a complete rewrite of (at least) the backend. Very unlikely to happen, unless you'd like to do it yourself...

Yes, of course I would be talking about GN cache.

I use GN as a portable app on a USB stick. I travel extensively for business, so having this portable functionality allows me to read my feeds on the go. Depending on the size of the stick, GN cache could be an issue - which is why I brought it up as an "added" benefit.

But - the more I think about it, the local cache will still need to remain I'm sure, since it'll need to cache the articles it grabs with GR sync. So you can ignore that section.

Having GN on USB doesn't help me though when I read feeds via my mobile device, or when I use GR on days I forget my USB stick. That's where GR integration would be great. Mark feeds as read on GR when I read them either via GN or mobile - that way I don't read the same feeds twice. Because, like you - my time is also limited, and being efficient is the way to go these days.

Very unlikely to happen, unless you'd like to do it yourself...

Again, I'm not a developer, so I won't be able to offer help with the code. This is why I've offered to donate to the project if GR integration is possible. Yes, as in a monetary donation.

My suggestion isn't to re-write the app. It's merely a suggestion for added functionality, and to possibly get this great app out to a broader user base with those who use GR daily - maybe even convert a few FeedDemon users in the process. The only thing FeedDemon really has is GR sync.

I think GreatNews is a much better product than FeedDemon. The article formatting in GreatNews is much better, add on portability and you have an excellent product. Throw in Google Reader sync, and you have the best RSS Reader on the market.

Quentin

Postby Quentin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:06 am

Yes, exactly what I'm looking for. Syncing between GR and GN. Sync which articles have been read, which have been unread - and maybe the ability to Star so that it can be saved/reviewed later.

That's what I'm looking for too: I have 3 computers, and a mobile, and that could be nice if it's possible to make them sync. I don't want to switch to GR on the desktop, GN is much more suited for my needs.
The iPad is maybe the next support on the which we will read our rss, so if you start to dev this now you will see the result in the coming months.
Best Regards,
Quentin, owner of Simulation de credit and Au meilleur taux

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”