Middle-clicking on MSDN link locks up greatnews

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

djmitchella

Middle-clicking on MSDN link locks up greatnews

Postby djmitchella » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:14 pm

On this PC here, at work, middle-clicking on links to MSDN locks up Greatnews, in exactly the same way that middle-clicking on links to slashdot locks up Greatnews.

Repro (on this PC, I haven't tried it on others):

open greatnews.
Put http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/His-Own ... wline.aspx
into the address box, hit enter
middle-click on the "Environment.Newline" link at the top.

boom, greatnews is now using up 99% of my cpu and will do so until I kill it with task manager.

Left-clicking on the link works just fine, though.

muntealb

Re: Middle-clicking on MSDN link locks up greatnews

Postby muntealb » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:04 am

I cannot reproduce the situation (on XP SP2), so it's a problem with your PC. Maybe a clean reinstall is the only solution to solve these lockups that you are experiencing with GN.

djmitchella

Re: Middle-clicking on MSDN link locks up greatnews

Postby djmitchella » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:18 pm

No, it's not this PC -- as I said in the previous thread about this, it happens on other PCs here.

It's something about the network environment here -- we have a websense proxy between the LAN and the outside world, and something about the extra network hops that causes confuses GreatNews (but only GreatNews) on some links (thus far only MSDN, Slashdot).

And, again, it's possible to make the 100% cpu lockup happen on my PC at home which is yet another different install and not behind any sort of proxy server -- it's just harder to make it happen in that environment.

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”