GN and Firefox 2.0?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

sky_mike71

GN and Firefox 2.0?

Postby sky_mike71 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 am

Hi Everyone,

I have installed GreatNews and am very happy with it generally, thank you for producing such a cool product! One question: I use Firefox 2.0 as my default browser, but GN (the reading pane) keeps defaulting to using my Internet Explorer (v6 - realize I need to upgrade to v7!). I think I have searched all the forum entries, but nothing seems to work. I really would like to use Firefox for everything!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sky_Mike
Sky Mike

ashghost

Postby ashghost » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 pm

If you're using Vista, there are 2 workarounds posted in the forums:

http://www.curiostudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2337

http://www.curiostudio.com/forum/viewto ... efox+vista

Both worked for me.

They're probably also applicable in XP, although the "progam settings" would be under "Set Program Access and Defaults" in the "Add or Remove Programs" Control Panel applet.

sky_mike71

Postby sky_mike71 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks! Added the [Advanced] reference to firefox - that didn't do it. I also tried the other two fixes (extensions and "choose non-microsoft"). Can't find the program extensions and my control panel doesn't seem to have "program access and computer defaults option... Any more detailed ideas, please? Thanks for helping!!!
Sky Mike

NeedfulThing

Re: GN and Firefox 2.0?

Postby NeedfulThing » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 pm

I really like this program the one thing that frustrated me was the accessing browser I don't like IE, I use FireFox. I'm also using XP media sp2 as my operating
system. I read the article about the adding the advance line to the greatnews.ini and sky_mike71 said it didn't work. Just the other day I had to change a setting
in Thunderbird. This gave me an idea so I looked through the greatnews.ini and found this line:
OpenRssLinkInDefaultBrowser=0
Using what I learn with Thunderbird I tried with Great News. So make sure that Great New is shut down. So I change the the value OpenRssLinkInDefaultBrowser=O to OpenRssLinkInDefaultBrowser=1 and saved it and start Great News up again then I change a settings in Great News tools, options, usability, make sure that there are dots beside the external browser then OK and make sure the browser that you use is the default browser. Its working for me.

sky_mike71

Postby sky_mike71 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:44 am

Thank you for your helpful reply! I have done what you suggested, and the right browser (Firefox 2.0) now opens - no problem. But the preview panel still seems to be explorer based (including the explorer favorites) - and it sure be neat if this were to integrate directly. I am thinking that there must be a way to accomplish this. Any further ideas? Thanks in advance!
Sky Mike

grinder74

Postby grinder74 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am

hi everybody

GN is my fauvorite RSS reader but You must add this function
(Firefox engine in a GN view window) quick as possible :)

this is very frustrating for me too :(

greets, Robert.

voln1

Postby voln1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:10 pm

And Opera browser too, pls

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”