Back up labels/news feeds

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

mkda

Back up labels/news feeds

Postby mkda » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi,

I have about a thousand labels for news items that I need to back up before I format my computer. However, when I try using the export wizard in the program I get a "Invalid class string" error.

I'm not sure if I would get this error otherwise, but I'm currently using the UB4Win CD - http://www.ubcd4win.com - to run programs and back up everything. I managed to back up everything else I needed except for this problem. I can't login via xp as that is messed up, forcing me to format.

What I did do is back up the entire GreatNews folder in the "Program files" folder, as it has the newsfeed.db file. If I format, install GreatNews again, and replace that new newsfeed.db file with the one I backed up will it work? It can't be as simple as that, right?

I also noticed that all the news feeds are saved in the Temp folder (C:\Document and Settings\MY NAME\Local Settings\Temp. That entire folder is 1.1 gb. Is there a way to back up ONLY the news items from GreatNews? I don't care about all the news feeds, I just want the 1098 labels I saved. I need to find a way to export that info only?

Someone please help before all hope is lost and I will have to format and loose it all? :?

mkda

Postby mkda » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Nothing? :(

muntealb

Postby muntealb » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:11 am

1) Copy the installation of GN (its folder) to a portable device (USB stick). Then try to run it from the stick to see if it works and use the export wizard. I think that this could be successful, because I remember some users saying on the forum that GN is portable. If this doesn't work, try the second method, explained below.

2) Disconnect the existing harddisk and install another one. Put Windows XP on the new harddisk, the reconnect the other harddisk (with GN on it). I think you can run GN from the old harddisk and use the export wizard from inside the new installation of XP. I tell you that because I have a dual-boot system (XP and Vista) using different partitions of the same harddisk. If I install GN under XP, I can use it without problems from Vista and the reverse is also true.

mkda

Postby mkda » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks for the advice muntealb.

I zipped the entire Curio Studio folder (C:\Program Files\Curio Studio\Great News), copied it over to my laptop, unzipped to a folder, and ran it. All content is available.

YAY! Now I can go format my pc...

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”