Using one of my labels for the 'Home Page'

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

wyldphyre

Using one of my labels for the 'Home Page'

Postby wyldphyre » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:47 am

I just had an idea that I think could potentially be very useful depending on how a user processes feeds. Personally, I like to run through all my unread articles, and label those I want to read with a "To Read" label. I can then work through the articles I'm interested in at my leisure, and they can all be found on one place within a newspaper view.

I just realised that it would be really cool if I could set the 'home page' that currently displays feed stats to display one of my labels (or a watch perhaps) instead. This way, once I'm done marking everything I want to read, I hit the space bar to finish marking as read and moving through them, and it takes me straigt back to the home page, which now contains all of the stuff I want to look at. Plus if I don't get through all the articles, they will be the first thing I see when I restart the application :)

This seems like a change that should be easy to add, so what do you think?

ps I guess the same effect could be achieved by allow you to pick where a label/feed/watch to jump to when there are no more unread feeds.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Yes I think this is pretty cool. It's not too difficult to add though I need to handle what happens when the label/watch is deleted. I will try to add this feature in next several builds. Thanks for the suggestion.

wyldphyre

Postby wyldphyre » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:07 am

Cool. Looking forward to it. :D

wyldphyre

Postby wyldphyre » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if any progress has been made on this option, as I'm really looking forward to it. :D

justauser

Great idea, but...

Postby justauser » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:58 am

I ove this, but to be really useful, we need to couple it with the ability of a watch to assign a label to a matching article.

An alternative is to have a watch be able to be marked "show on home page". The home page would then tbe the items from all watches that are so marked, using the appropriate filter (all/unread)

wyldphyre

Postby wyldphyre » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:29 am

I think that the most flexible way to implement it would be to allow the selection of any watch, label, or channel to become the new home page. That way you could have what ever you wanted should you decide to customise the application. Not sure how diffucult that would be given the infrastructure of the application, but it would be nice.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:04 pm

It is more flexible to display all [unread] watch items as justauser suggested. I'm implementing the first step to let user specify which watch/label to display as home page. I will release this piece this week.

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”