Update all not updating

Ideas? Suggestions?

Or report any bugs about GreatNews here

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Cuba

Update all not updating

Postby Cuba » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:14 pm

If I have not used GreatNews for an hour or two and there are no new feeds I will click the "Update All" button to make sure it has checked all channels. Usually it reports that there are no new feeds, but if I immediately exit GreatNews and then immediately start it again, it checks all channels and somehow retrieves feeds that were not detected when I did a manual update.

I have checked the feeds in question and none of them have TTL tags so it cannot be instructions in the feed file and this sometimes happens after many hours so there should not be any caching issues restricting me from querying all of my channels.

Perhaps you could output to a log file that lists the responses from the webservers?

This is a feed I just had this problem with:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/syndicate/topstoriesrss.xml

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:20 pm

It is also not displaying the latest news item.

The XML is not in chronological order though, would that have any adverse effects?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:23 am

GreatNews is currently using IE internet cache while updating channels. It seems this cache hasn't expired since last Update All. I will try to fix this problem in next build.

In build 293 if you update a channel explicitly by using menu command, GreatNews will bypass local cache and always download from internet.

the TTL and SkipHour actually haven't been implemented yet. :oops:

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:26 am

Cuba wrote:It is also not displaying the latest news item.

The XML is not in chronological order though, would that have any adverse effects?

it doesn't have to be chronologically ordered. GreatNews checks chronological orderness before using the timestamp. Please give me a day or two to track changes in this feed.

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:52 am

GreatNews wrote:In build 293 if you update a channel explicitly by using menu command, GreatNews will bypass local cache and always download from internet.

I am using build 293, I was using the toolbar button and the system tray context menu, is the main window menu item a different function?

I will try various combinations and report back.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:59 am

That bypass-local-cache update only applies to a single channel in 293. When you update all or update a group, GreatNews still checks first if local cache expired or not. I'm going to always bypass local cache in next build after implementing TTL.

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:26 am

Build 294 looks like it has fixed this, thanks.

Return to “Suggestions & Bug Reports”