News and Announcements about GreatNews

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Jack
Site Admin

1.0 Build 353

Postby Jack » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:18 pm

Ver 1.0 (Build 353) released on 12/26/2005
==========================================
+Added: Turkish language pack (Thank you very much Umut!)
+Changed: Traditional Chinese language pack (Thank you very much coca!)
+Added: wfw:comment support
If Option->Feature->"Track Comments" is enabled, news items which have wfw:comment will show "Track Comments" link under articles . If you click Track Comments, GreatNews will track this article automatically and will mark the article unread if new comments arrive. New comments will be displayed under each article.

http://www.curiostudio.com/nightly0

Ryan Farley

Re: 1.0 Build 353

Postby Ryan Farley » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:31 pm

GreatNews wrote:If Option->Feature->"Track Comments" is enabled, news items which have wfw:comment will show "Track Comments" link under articles

I installed this new version and enabled the "Track Comments" option under the features tab, but I still don't see the option/link in the article (I assume it will be somewhere next to the "Label This" link). I've ensured that the feeds I am checking include wfw:comment (Like my own feed at http://ryanfarley.com/blog/rss.aspx) but still no luck.

Could I be missing something?

Thanks.
-Ryan

Ryan Farley

Postby Ryan Farley » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:39 pm

OK. I think I've figured something out. If I delete a feed and then re-add it again then I see the "Track Comments" link.

Maybe it only shows up on new posts and not older ones you received before installing build 353?

Ryan Farley

Comment support feedback

Postby Ryan Farley » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:21 pm

Some feedback on the new comments support (which is very cool BTW):

1) Instead of highlighting the datetime of the comment, it would be more useful to see datetime *and* name of person who posted the comment (ie: dc:creator).

2) Trackbacks don't display right. Currently a trackback in the comments will display as just the highlighted datetime only - nothing more. It would be good to see the datetime and name of person (dc:creator) and then the <title/> as a hyperlink to the trackback? RssBandit and SharpReader do something similar where you can follow the trackback. That would be cool, but at least if we could see the title along with dc:creator then we can determine it is likely a trackback and can open the post in a browser if we want it bad enough.

3) Would it be possible to add an option to always track comments? Maybe the option would work to auto-track comments when you previewed a single post (and not when in a list for the feed/channel or group). Regardless, it might be useful to somehow know that at least the post *has* comments. I find I keep clicking the "Track Comments" link on every article/post just to see if it even has any comments.

Ideally (for me anyway) the comment list under the post would display:

datetime creator - title
description (ie: comment text - on a new line)

Great stuff and much appreciated. A great new feature to GreatNews.

-Ryan

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:05 pm

Ryan, Thanks for trying it out.

You are right. Items downloaded by older versions won't have the "Track Comments" link. Older versions didn't parse comment feed.

I like the way you suggested how to display comments. So I'm going to release build 354 to change to that. As for trackbacks, this version still doesn't parse trackback:ping element, so GreatNews will not be able to show those links directly. It's trivial to add that though.

I intentionally left out "auto track comments" option. Tracking comments for an item is equivalent to subscribe a channel. GreatNews is pretty fast now even you have a couple thousands channels (older versions are optimized to handle a couple hundreds). But auto tracking every item will require handling tens of thousands channels - something I'd rather do on server side than on desktop. I do plan to show how many comments available if the channel supply that.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Usability consideration is paramount in GreatNews.

Return to “News & Announcements”