1.0 Build 348

News and Announcements about GreatNews

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi,

Just installed version 345 and everything is back as it was.
The mouse is very sensitive again, I only have to turn it very slowly to change to a new page.
What can it be that changes my mouse sensitivity between the old and new version ?

Yes there are still some subtle difference. Most noticeably Build 346 differentiate page-turn-mouse-wheel from regular page-scroll-mouse-wheel. eg, when scroll to the bottom, you need to "release" the wheel and scroll again to turn page. That's the "lag" you noticed, but it's harder to turn page by accident this way.

Never

Great GreatNews

Postby Never » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:24 pm

After long searching for the right tool, finally found it!! GreatNews is really great, specially like the newspaper styles and how it could be customized. Although i'd have to admit, i did try looking for more alternatives after weeks of using GreatNews...there's just something that's missing...but no matter what, i keep coming back to this great program.

Just wish we could place folders inside folders. And although i'd hate to compare, and even though the interface is indeed simple, just wish it was more clean and streamlined like blogexpress and others. And can we customize the notifications? like it's appearance and other behaviors? Anyways, thanks for this great, great program!!!

Jack
Site Admin

Re: Great GreatNews

Postby Jack » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm

Never wrote:Just wish we could place folders inside folders. And although i'd hate to compare, and even though the interface is indeed simple, just wish it was more clean and streamlined like blogexpress and others. And can we customize the notifications? like it's appearance and other behaviors? Anyways, thanks for this great, great program!!!

The folder hierarchy has some usability issues I haven't found good way to deal with. You can search the forum to read several discussions on this one. As for the notifications customization, can you give more specific description? Thanks.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this.
Unfortunatelly I prefered the more sensitive way of going to the next page. In this new version I really have to give the mouse wheel a huge swing (uncomfortable) to go to the next page.
Still GreatNews is one of the best RSS reader available, especially that you don't have to install it. Just unzip and run, GREAT.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:00 pm

Build 346 has an option to change the mouse wheel sensitivity. Have you tried that? Thanks.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:29 am

Just installed version 349 to see if it may have been improved.
With the mousesensitivity level at 1 it looks a little bit more sensitive then before, but still not as sensitive as in version 345.
Is there a possibility to include this mouse sensitivity setting within the option menu, and then also the posibility to set it more sensitive ?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:30 am

Anonymous wrote:Just installed version 349 to see if it may have been improved.
With the mousesensitivity level at 1 it looks a little bit more sensitive then before, but still not as sensitive as in version 345.
Is there a possibility to include this mouse sensitivity setting within the option menu, and then also the posibility to set it more sensitive ?

When scrolling to the botton, try to "release" the mouse wheel, then scroll again. GreatNews needs to make sure user is not scrolling down while reading.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:20 am

When I scroll down the page I release the wheel. No matter how long I wait, I need to give the wheel a very fast swing before it will take me to the next page.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:36 am

Just found something to improve the sensitivity :D
In the mouse settings of windows control panel, I can adjust the number of lines that will be scrolled. When I increase this number it makes GreatNews turn the page more easily.
Previously my setting was set at 2 lines per scroll, now I increased it to 5 lines per scroll.
What settings are other people using ?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:Just found something to improve the sensitivity :D
In the mouse settings of windows control panel, I can adjust the number of lines that will be scrolled. When I increase this number it makes GreatNews turn the page more easily.
Previously my setting was set at 2 lines per scroll, now I increased it to 5 lines per scroll.
What settings are other people using ?

Great find! I don't know this option before. I checked 3 machines of mine. The default value seems to be 3. I added an item in GreatNews issue tracking database that GreatNews should check this option when determine page-turning mouse wheel action.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:16 am

In which version of GreatNews will this item be implemented ?

Thanks for all the quick responses that you gave me on this issue.
That is what I call a great customer support.

Keep on doing all the great things with GreatNews.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:In which version of GreatNews will this item be implemented ?

The task got a low priorit setting currently. We probably will see it done after 2 months.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:12 pm

did greatnews used to have a features where it only check a maximum amount of feeds at the same time?

Because i found ever since i updated Greatnews it is trying to check ALL newsfeed at the same time which didn't work because i have too many of them.

As temp soloution i am not updating per group

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:did greatnews used to have a features where it only check a maximum amount of feeds at the same time?

Because i found ever since i updated Greatnews it is trying to check ALL newsfeed at the same time which didn't work because i have too many of them.

As temp soloution i am not updating per group

It's controlled by a hidden option in GreatNews.ini

[Advanced]
NumOfConcurrentUpdate=3

the default value is 10.

Return to “News & Announcements”