1.0 Build 339

News and Announcements about GreatNews

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

Jack
Site Admin

1.0 Build 339

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:08 pm

+ Added: For security reasons, GreatNews now filters certain html tags in rss feeds. (Thanks Alex)
+ Added: Cleanup Wizard can now specify maximum number of items to keep in a channel
Note: channel level number-of-item option hasn't been implemented in this build.
+ Added: %MEDIA% can now be used in GreatNews style css file (Thanks gtanuel)
- Fixed: Channel updating may show "invalid character at line 0, number 0" error message. (Thanks GeekNJ)

http://www.curiostudio.com/nightly0

Last edited by Jack on Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:18 pm

The download address?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:19 pm

sorry forgot

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:56 am

A nice gift for the weekend. Thanks Jack!

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:08 am

Jack, in the Cleanup Wizard, it says for "Keep ony [sic] the most recent xxx news items per channel" -> "settings are overridable at channel level". Is that already implemented? I cannot see the related settings in the channel properties.

rodeoclown

Postby rodeoclown » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:21 am

In addition to keeping only a maximum number of items, is it possible to make it keep a minimum?

I recently did a cleanup, and then next time I updated, I got a huge number of updates from sites that had posted most of their posts before the cutoff time I specified... Is it possible to maybe have an option that while cleaning up it updates the feed and removes any items that aren't in the feed it just received. So it will delete any items older than the specified time UNLESS those items are still in the current feed.

Did I make any sense at all?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:23 am

Alexander wrote:Jack, in the Cleanup Wizard, it says for "Keep ony [sic] the most recent xxx news items per channel" -> "settings are overridable at channel level". Is that already implemented? I cannot see the related settings in the channel properties.

Sorry it's not there yet. I forgot to mention it in the release note.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:29 am

rodeoclown wrote:In addition to keeping only a maximum number of items, is it possible to make it keep a minimum?

I recently did a cleanup, and then next time I updated, I got a huge number of updates from sites that had posted most of their posts before the cutoff time I specified... Is it possible to maybe have an option that while cleaning up it updates the feed and removes any items that aren't in the feed it just received. So it will delete any items older than the specified time UNLESS those items are still in the current feed.

Did I make any sense at all?

You might try to set cleanup to 6 month. Then maximum-number will work pretty much like the minimum-number feature you want.

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:35 am

GreatNews wrote:
Alexander wrote:Jack, in the Cleanup Wizard, it says for "Keep ony [sic] the most recent xxx news items per channel" -> "settings are overridable at channel level". Is that already implemented? I cannot see the related settings in the channel properties.

Sorry it's not there yet. I forgot to mention it in the release note.

No biggie. I run the cleanup wizard anyway (the first time!) and wow, what an improvement after the cleanup! Before it took several seconds sometimes to switch channels, now I am back to the same speed I remember the first time I used GN!

daniel, Italy

Postby daniel, Italy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 pm

sorry.
But you make new minor version almost every day?
Which we download?
Thank you for your work!?

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:21 pm

daniel, Italy wrote:sorry.
But you make new minor version almost every day?
Which we download?
Thank you for your work!?

That's probably why they are called Nightly Builds :)

I peronally use GN at least one version ahead of what I upload here. These nightly builds usually are quite stable, but I suggest you can wait until public release, unless you need some new features in nightly builds badly, or you just want the latest and greatest stuff :)

masktao

什么时候自定义db路径?

Postby masktao » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:48 am

什么时候支持skin,这个问题不大,什么时候可以在选项内加入自定义db路径
每个版本都期待,每一次来就失望 :(

Jack
Site Admin

Re: 什么时候自定义db路径?

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:48 pm

masktao wrote:什么时候支持skin,这个问题不大,什么时候可以在选项内加入自定义db路径
每个版本都期待,每一次来就失望 :(

这两个问题以前都有人问过的。GreatNews只支持theme,不支持skin。至于db路径可以用: GreatNews.exe /db:c:\newsfeed.db 命令行参数。

Technut

eek a bug

Postby Technut » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:01 pm

Since build 338, every time I use the feed properties and click on the 'Properties' tab all settings on the 'Settings' tab get reset to defaults.
The wrong (changed to default) settings are saved if the Properties dialog is closed with OK after visiting the 'Properties' tab. It doesn't matter if the 'Settings' tab is visited at all.

Side note --
I've been using RSS readers for at least 2 years (mostly feedreader).
GreatNews is the only RSS reader that makes it easy to quickly browse trough dozens of feeds (and hundreds of articles). It also has a great feature set.

Keep up the good work.

Jack
Site Admin

Re: eek a bug

Postby Jack » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:54 pm

Technut wrote:Since build 338, every time I use the feed properties and click on the 'Properties' tab all settings on the 'Settings' tab get reset to defaults.
The wrong (changed to default) settings are saved if the Properties dialog is closed with OK after visiting the 'Properties' tab. It doesn't matter if the 'Settings' tab is visited at all.

Side note --
I've been using RSS readers for at least 2 years (mostly feedreader).
GreatNews is the only RSS reader that makes it easy to quickly browse trough dozens of feeds (and hundreds of articles). It also has a great feature set.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the bug report. I can reproduce it and it will be fixed in next build.

Return to “News & Announcements”