Greatnews Marketing Rss way!

News and Announcements about GreatNews

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

levisu

Greatnews Marketing Rss way!

Postby levisu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:02 am

Greatnews has already shown its great potential due to Jack's Creative programing and fast-growing fan base which is including me.
I am always thinking about how to market greatnews! The result is that greatnews is for Rss and should be marketed Rss way!
1. preinstall news channels. I assume everybody knows Rssblog, which is an influential blog and does a great deal to market greatnews,BeCause greatnews users is a biggest subscriber to this blog. We can use this model to develop a greatnews distribution blog network. preinstall some influential blogs and in the exchange the blogs promote Greatnews. This is a effective marketing strategy needed to be developed for greatnews!
2. embed google adsense into greatnews! I has a vision for greatnews: greatnews can be growing into a effective information distributing platform instead of a simple news subscriber. Adsense is contextual, so once you read a news item in greatnews's newspaper stytle, a relevant adsense ads will be dlsplayed. This is a great way to wide greatnews financial options. Cause if greatnews achieves a massive readership, adsense will generate a huge amount of money for greatnews which is unimaginable compared to simply deliever greatnews as a shareware. Google is a great example. It uses its great service to generate a huge fan base including me who can't live without it and then they developed a contextual ads technology to put the billions of google users into his money cow. If greatnews does achive a huge user base, anything is possible. You can use adsense at first stage and after that develop its own contextual ads technology to become a enterprise level ads marketing solution. I believe this is where big money cow lies!
Jack is a genuine guy! We need to turn greatnews into a big picture where it should be!
In the meantime, wecome check my blog http://newsgator-herald.blogspot.com with lots of devoted rss marketing information and my own Greatnews unofficial user guide to help beginers to unleash the dragon feature inside greatnews!http://newsgator-herald.blogspot.com/2005/08/blogrssbuzzgreatnews-is-great-news.html.
I also included greatnews forum feeds into blogdigger user group athttp://groups.blogdigger.com/groups.jsp?id=2266, and now greatnews forum feeds will be automaticlly crawled by blogdigger's spider.I just can't wait to see jack release his blog which he promised so I can add that into blogdigger group as well.

Mac Rss Reader's blog 'Ranchero Software: Weblog' is among technorati's top 100 blog list which has done a enormous work for netnewswire's promotion! I hope that jack will catch up with this pretty soon. If Jack you need a co-blogger to maintain the blog for you, just let me know![/url] :P
Last edited by levisu on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:19 am

Shouldn't this thread belong to 'Suggestions & Bug Reports'?

Anyways,

"effective information distributing platform"

Uhm. Perhaps I need another tea on this Sunday morning to understand what you mean ;)

"embed google adsense into greatnews..."

Just please don't. I am willing to buy GN as soon as it becomes shareware/commercial. But the last thing I want to see is Google Ads everywhere around my RSS feeds. Besides, it's legally questionable whether you could use other people's content, i.e. news feeds, to generate contextual Google Ads paying on your name.

Now take a look at the Google AdSense policies:
https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

Client Software

A site or third party cannot display our ads, search box, or search results as a result of the actions of any software application such as a toolbar. No Google ad or search box code may be pasted into any software application. We may not accept sites that are associated with some types of client-side software or offer these types of client-side software.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I'm very interested in making some money eventually :)

1. I will selectively include more default rss feeds. The current feed selections are more of demonstration than recommendation. In Rssblog's case, I implemented a feature in GN based on an old article by Randy. So I included his blog as a way to say thank you. I think this is an excellent way to mutually increase publicity. After all GreatNews has at least 10K users from 33 countries.

2. GreatNews will not bundle any form of advertising. These days ad-ware is pretty much interpreted as spy-ware. In short term I really don't have the time to grow the business side of GreatNews, so I'm just going to release it as a shareware. I see GreatNews as a long term project that I will work on it for next 5 years. Making some quick money is nice, but not an immediate goal. Growing user base is.

3. GreatNews is targeting at information aggregation. RSS is one of the data sources that GreatNews can consume.

Return to “News & Announcements”