1.0 Build 363

News and Announcements about GreatNews

Moderators: justauser, MysteryFCM

vback

I feel it a serious problem and hope it fixed soonest.

Postby vback » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:44 pm

isaacg wrote:Found a bug: when i click on a channel with unread items, click on All News Channels, then click on any channel, the first channel i clicked has all its items marked read. At least for me. I can click around all i want and not have this happen, if i avoid clicking on All News Channels.

I experienced the same problem as isaacg did with the upgrade to build 364. This didnot happen in the last version. It is so frustrated that I am considering if GN is still a right rss reader for me, because the problem brings so much confusion between READ and UNREAD articles. I cannot tell what have been read and what not. Please help.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:28 am

I guess there are enough users object to the new "Mark read interactively" behavior. I just updated build 364 to restore previous behavior. Please reinstall build 364. Thanks.

vback

Thanks for the quick fix!

Postby vback » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:27 am

GreatNews wrote:I guess there are enough users object to the new "Mark read interactively" behavior. I just updated build 364 to restore previous behavior. Please reinstall build 364. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick fix so much. It solves the scary problem now. Now GreatNews comes back to be great again.

I like GreatNews so much until this "Mark read interactively" accident. With this "Mark read interactively" behavior, I cannot even use GN because:
1) Clicking a channel or a channel group doesn't necessarily mean the displayed articles were or are being read. In most occasions it is just a subsequence of clicking "next" after reading one page. Usually people choose their own order of reading channels/channel groups instead of being forced to read in a fixed order.
2) New articles may be coming in while people are reading one page. The "Mark Read Interactively" behavior steals these new coming-in articles by not even notifying readers.

Thanks so much you are not providing this function now in build364.

One suggestion for improving GN. I believe a backup function in the menu is so important for most users although they can do it separately by copying the newsfeed.db file. Not every user comes to the forum to find out how to backup data before they lose something. A backup function always provides more security from any accidents.

Jack
Site Admin

Postby Jack » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 am

vback, thanks for the backup suggestion. I will try to add it next month.

Return to “News & Announcements”