Curio Studio

The Home of GreatNews
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

I have to say I haven't spent a lot of time on GreatNews lately. Save the usual excuses, the most important thing is how to keep GreatNews updated regularly. I'm considering what's the best way to release GreatNews source code. Most of the code base are safe to open, but there are small amount of code belong to other people that I have to either ask for permission, or compile into library. I hope to finalize this in the Christmas break. In the mean while, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for your support of GreatNews. I hope you will continue enjoying it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:01 pm 

I've still not found a better one, so will definately continue using it :)

Open sourcing GN could be beneficial, depending on the path it takes.

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 pm 

@ Jack,

Will you be producing a .deb for Ubuntu? Will your app be in the Canonical repository?

If it has to be compiled from source code, I'm afraid I'm not very good at that yet, so if you do it that way, make sure and include a readme file with specific instructions.

Ultimately, the only protection against phishing, forged Web pages, downloading malware, and other threats is the technology located between the user's ears.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:51 pm 

Jack this is very great news!!!

I'm very happy that greatnews becomes open source!

I love really it!

I tried really a lot of desktop feed readers programs but not found anything as Greatnews.

For me is the best desktop program for read news!

Lightweight resources and fast updating feeds and display news!

Now we need to add all Rssowl and Feeddemon functionality and Greatnews become complete and extraordinary program!

Thanks Jack!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:48 pm 

This is fantastic news. I hope people will really start to develop it seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:06 pm 

Quote:
I hope to finalize this in the Christmas break.

Already more than a week into the new year, and still nothing...

I really hope this doesn't sink into oblivion like build 815 (which never made it out of its beta thread) did. Almost every update to WINE (I'm using (well, trying to) GN under Linux) breaks something - So far I've been able to find workarounds, but the ability able to fix those things for good would be priceless.

Besides, there's a couple of minor annoyances (off-by-ones in the page numbers, tab order in some (actually most) dialogs, ...) which I'd like to have a shot at, which would also benefit the "normal" (= Windows) users...

btw, BobJam1:
An application being open source doesn't mean that it automagically runs on Linux. GN is still based on the Windows API, making it work on Linux would basically mean rewriting (at least the UI parts) from scratch...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:39 pm 

ktm wrote:
btw, BobJam1: An application being open source doesn't mean that it automagically runs on Linux. GN is still based on the Windows API, making it work on Linux would basically mean rewriting (at least the UI parts) from scratch...
I wasn't real clear on that, so thanks for clarifying.

I'm not familiar with the app nor the author, but want to take a look at it because it comes highly recommended by MysteryFCM (Steve, from hpHosts).

I tried Wine but found it too buggy for my liking, so I use a VM within Ubuntu with Windows XP SP3.

If this thing uses the Windows API, then maybe I can try it in my VM.

Ultimately, the only protection against phishing, forged Web pages, downloading malware, and other threats is the technology located between the user's ears.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 am 

Jack wrote:
I have to say I haven't spent a lot of time on GreatNews lately. Save the usual excuses, the most important thing is how to keep GreatNews updated regularly. I'm considering what's the best way to release GreatNews source code. Most of the code base are safe to open, but there are small amount of code belong to other people that I have to either ask for permission, or compile into library. I hope to finalize this in the Christmas break. In the mean while, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for your support of GreatNews. I hope you will continue enjoying it.

Wow! Thanks for the information. It's great to know that GreatNews became free now. If we can Greatnews source code it will be very beneficial to all of us. Thank you..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 am 

@Jack

At first thanks for the great RSS software, but I think the multi-level "Feed Group" catalogue management feature is very important. You know that everybody is collecting various of information, and need builds a complex structure with feeds list to meet user's management. Hope you can consider this demand, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 am 

It's been a year now since the last update (which was marked as a beta and never made it to an official release). The "going open source" message is a quarter of a year old, too... And according to his profile, Jack hasn't even visited this forum this year.

I don't think anything much is gonna happen here anymore - GN's dead.

...still, on the off chance Jack's following this on a second account: What's the holdup? Also, any way we could help out? Like, if it's time constraints, maybe find someone else to mess around with the nonfree code (if you're a lil' paranoid, have him sign an NDA or something) before publishing it at sourceforge or whereever...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 am 

What license GN uses? Is it still open source or project is dead?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:15 pm 

Apologies for the delay.

It's still open source. licence.txt doesn't mention it, but I believe its GPL v2.

it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net